Cream Cheese Filling ingredients
- 2 1/4 cups all–purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine (NOT softened at room temp)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves*
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Use shortening to grease the bottom and side of an 10 inch springform pan or an 11×7 inch (2 quart) glass baking dish; lightly flour. (If you don′t have shortening, use margarine. If you use non–stick spray, be sure the pan is coated evenly.)
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the Cream Cheese filling until smooth. (The easiest way is to use a hand mixer, but mixing by spoon is fine, too.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups flour and 3/4 cup sugar (by hand). Cut in the cold butter (see below). The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Into the remaining crumb mixture, stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, almond/vanilla extract, and egg. Pour this batter into your springform pan until it is 2 inches up the side (you may have a little extra left over since you have a 9.5 inch pan).
- Pour the cream cheese filling over the batter. Carefully spoon the preserves evenly over the filling. Mix the almonds and reserved crumb mixture with a spoon and sprinkle it over the preserves.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes (or 35 to 45 minutes if using a 2 quart dish), or until filling is set and crust is a deep golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes; remove side of springform pan.
*Preserves: chunkier than jelly or jam. Real fruit? Yum!
Cutting butter? Cutting is the process of mixing cold butter into a dry mixture which gives the crust a different texture and flavor than if melted butter were added. Cut the butter into slices or squares and add it to the dry mixture without letting it set at room temperature. This video link shows a pastry cutter being used, but you can also use a couple of forks or knives.